https://theonlinemedicine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/newgreenlogo.png 0 0 Yukti Digital https://theonlinemedicine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/newgreenlogo.png Yukti Digital2019-11-12 04:41:482019-11-12 04:44:03Erectile Dysfunction Medicines: Similarity, Differences and Precautions to Follow
Discussing a medical problem like Erectile dysfunction, also known as impotence, has no more remained a taboo. It is because the statistics show over 30 million men only in the United States affected by this condition. It is a condition in which males do not get an erection for successful sexual stimulation and intercourse. Some men with impotence resume with active sex life after making certain lifestyle changes or treating an underlying condition like high blood pressure. However, not all people get satisfactory results from these treatments and therefore start with erectile dysfunction medicine.
What are Erectile Dysfunction (ED) Medicines?
ED is one medical condition, which is easy to treat with different kinds of FDA approved drugs. These drugs belong to PDE5 (phosphodiesterase type 5) inhibitors. Different drugs work in a unique manner but all result in enhanced sexual by increasing blood flow in the penis. Some of the most common drugs recommended are:
- Sildenafil or Viagra
- Tadalafil or Cialis
- Levitra or Vardenafil
There are other drugs also, but the aforementioned three ED drugs are the most popular ones and recommended widely by healthcare professionals.
These medications result in increasing effects of nitric oxide, increase blood flow to the penis and thereby getting enough erection for sexual stimulation. Taking medications will not work alone if a person is not sexually stimulated.
Differences between Erectile Dysfunction Medicines
Though these medicines work in a similar fashion, they are different from each other on grounds of effectiveness, side-effects, dosage strengths, etc. For instance, Levitra drug takes minimum 30 minutes time to start showing its effectiveness and lasts up to 5 hours. On the other hand, Viagra medicine remains effective up to 4 hours only. Amongst them, Cialis stays effective for the longest duration i.e. for 36 hours.
There is a common perception among people that if one Erectile Dysfunction Medicine shows unsatisfactory results, then it is futile to experiment with other medicines. But it is not a fact. Many times, it happens, that one ED medicine works better than others due to differences in side-effect and every individual responds differently to these side-effects. It is strictly recommended not to switch the medicine on your own; consultation with a licensed healthcare professional is a must before taking and switching between and ED medicine.
Factors to Consider before Taking Erectile Dysfunction Medicine
- Not every person, who is unable to get an erection, can consider himself as an impotent. If a person is facing erection trouble for some time, it is not a matter of concern. If it becomes an ongoing issue, then it is necessary to seek medical intervention.
- Not every person with erectile dysfunction needs to take medications. Primarily, a healthcare professional recommends some physical and lab tests after understanding his complete medical history.
- Sometimes, ED is the outcome of untreated health conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure. Treating these conditions automatically shows improvement in ED symptoms.
- ED may be considered as a side-effect of some drugs. Certain drugs that treat the condition like depression, seizures, cancer, heart disease and high blood pressure result in showing symptoms of ED. Making some changes in these drugs or in their dosages result in improving the impotence condition.
- Some unhealthy habits like smoking, alcohol consumption, leading a sedentary lifestyle also contribute to erectile dysfunction. Adopting healthy habits may show improvement in ED symptoms.
When Not to Take Erectile Dysfunction Medicine?
If a person is taking nitrates like nitroglycerin for treating chest pain or any similar medicine, he should not use ED medicine. It is because the administration of ED medicines along with nitroglycerin may alter the effectiveness of the former and lead to life-threatening results. There are other conditions also in which the administration of the drug is considered as unsafe. These conditions are:
- If a person is planning to undergo a dental surgery
- If he is taking any prescription and non-prescription medicine, vitamin and dietary supplement.
- If he is taking any alpha-blockers for treating prostate or blood pressure problems.
- If he is allergic to any active and inactive ingredient of the ED drug.
Consult with Healthcare Professional
If any male observes any symptom of erectile dysfunction, it is necessary to consult with an experienced and licensed healthcare professional and undergo necessary tests recommended by him. If he recommends erectile dysfunction medicine, then take it in a prescribed way. Do not stop taking the medicine or increase and reduce the dosage without consulting with him. In case, a person experiences some of the serious side-effects of ED drugs like vision problem, hearing loss, erection lasting for more than 4 hours, etc., stop taking medication immediately and speak to a healthcare professional on a priority basis.